Portola Systems, Inc. is a full-service IT and security consulting firm providing technical support to large and mid-sized organizations. Portola Systems culture is to ensure exceptional customer service, teamwork, on-going education, and opportunities for career growth within an exciting and ever-evolving environment.
Who Should Apply
Candidates must be a solid network engineer with design capabilities – those experienced with network engineering concepts, practices, and procedures that possess intrinsic motivation and intelligent judgment. This role is best for individuals that develop and accomplish goals both autonomously and within small work teams, those hungry for information, and those excited by continuous problem solving. The ideal candidate will have extensive technical skills complimented by an exceptional ability to work within a customer-facing role.
This network engineer will provide Tier 2 support to mid and large-sized companies, government agencies, and NGOs, and will own a variety of NOC services including PRTG configuration, management, and networking escalations.
- Network engineering: Cisco, Juniper, HP, Dell, Checkpoint, and Palo Alto Networks
- Provide Tier 2 support for clients and address incidents from Tier 1 help desk and NOC requiring subject matter expertise
- Design high availability (HA) networks using different HA protocols and infrastructure
- Traffic shaping – utilizing QoS polices and other traffic management tools and devices
- Take ownership of NOC network operations
- Assist with network design and implementation
- Design and deliver network maps/documentation
- Occasional after-hours updates and upgrades
- Stay current on systems documentation, changes, and updates
- 2+ years relevant networking experience
- Strong documentation skills including technical report writing (Visio, etc.)
- Understanding of routing protocols, usages, and limitations
- Switching best practices: Core, Distribution and Access deployment
- Possess an understanding of IEEE networking standards
- Working knowledge of PRTG, Netflow, Netbrain
- Switch VLANs, VLAN routing, VTP, STP, trunking, Etherchannel
- Practical Experience in some of the following: Routing/Switching, Wireless, Security, Voice
- Familiarity in Microsoft Networks and Network Architecture
- Knowledge of VMWare environments and virtual switching
- Proven background of providing great customer service
- Valid CA Driver’s License
How to Apply
Please send your salary requirements, availability, cover letter, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “PSI T2 Network Engineer North Bay” in the subject line.