Portola Systems, Inc. is a full-service IT and security consulting firm providing technical support to large and mid-sized organizations. Portola Systems culture is to ensure exceptional customer service, teamwork, on-going education, and opportunities for career growth within an exciting and ever-evolving environment.
Who Should Apply
Candidates must be a solid network engineer with design capabilities – those experienced with network engineering concepts, practices, and procedures that possess intrinsic motivation and intelligent judgment. This role is best for individuals that develop and accomplish goals both autonomously and within small work teams, those hungry for information, and those excited by continuous problem solving. The ideal candidate will have extensive technical skills complimented by an exceptional ability to work within a customer-facing role.
As one of our senior network engineers, you will oversee multiple aspects of customer engagements including network architecture, implementation, configuration, and analysis, including analyzing requirements and influencers of design, developing and implementing logical and physical topologies, selecting routing and switching protocols, analyzing and optimizing network performance, and providing Tier-3 troubleshooting and escalation support in collaboration with Tier-3 peers and Tier-2 staff.
- Network and firewall engineering: primarily Cisco, Palo Alto Networks, Check Point, Juniper
- Provide Senior Network Architecture and Tier-3 support for clients
- Design high availability (HA) distributed networks – maps, routing and switching protocols and schema,
- BOM, migration and cutover strategies
- Develop traffic optimization policies – QoS polices and other traffic management tools and devices
- Incorporate compliance mandates and restrictions into network design (NIST, CJIS, NERC CIP, PCI-DSS)
- Develop and deliver network maps/documentation
- Develop migration strategies – providing networking subject matter expertise within lean project teams
- Performance of after-hours implementations and project-based upgrades
- Analyze networks and develop reports summarizing observations, deficiencies, and recommendations
- Strong professionalism while also personable and relatable
- 5-7+ years relevant networking experience (Cisco, Check Point, Palo Alto Networks)
- Valid CCNP or equivalent technical certifications
- Strong documentation skills including technical report writing (Visio, etc.)
- Mastery of IEEE standards, protocols, usages, best practices, and limitations
- Familiarity with Cisco Wireless and Unified Communications
- Knowledge of VMWare, Microsoft, and Linux
- Proven background of providing great customer service
- 20-50% travel within the Bay Area; can work remotely with occasional HQ visits with senior staff
How to Apply
Please send your salary requirements, availability, cover letter, and resume to email@example.com and indicate “PSI Tier-3 Network Engineer” in the subject line.